Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Carry a Torchwood

I joined up with Netflix a few months ago and it has certainly paid off. I think I can count on a shop teacher's hand the number of movies I have seen using the service, but that's okay because the TV access is incredible. Hulu helps too, but Netflix is a bit easier to navigate and their recommendations are usually reliable.

For example, the British (and soon to be Americanized) series Torchwood. This show is a spin-off (and anagram) of the modern incarnation of Doctor Who. I have seen a handful of episodes of DW but the scheduling on SciFi (as it was called at the time) and the plots of some of the episodes were something to be desired. Also, as many Brits will tell you, DW is a kids' show and they don't understand why American adults are so gaga over the programme (their spelling, not mine). Although I did enjoy a few episodes and the occasional Dalek, the show is a bit more frantic than thought provoking.

Torchwood, on the other hand, is just the opposite. Although the show spun off via the character of Captain Jack Harkness, who was introduced as a conman on DW, there is a maturity about the story telling that I find rather engrossing. Also, there is a mystique about the character that I find intriguing. I love his aesthetic and I think I've figured out what my Halloween costume is going to be next year.

I'm only three episodes in, but I'm really liking the show. It reminds me of The X-Files but without Scully's skepticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment